The Captain is the first in a decade to win Horse of the Year back to back.
The thoroughbred was crowned at the 2020 Top End Racing Awards last night in Darwin, with his trainer Gary Clarke also taking out leading trainer for the eighth year in a row.
Jockey Jarrod Todd made it a trifecta for the Clarke Stables, to win Leading Jockey for the 2020 season.
Darwin Turf Club chief executive Brad Morgan said it was a fantastic night for industry who thoroughly enjoyed themselves.
“I was glad the industry could spend some time enjoying our new facilities as they are more often than not in the stables on a race day,” he said.
“We can’t thank our industry enough for their patience and flexibility through this year, which has been challenging for everyone.”
Top End jockey and lovable larrikin Wayne Davis also took out the 2020 Character of Racing award.
TRNT chief executive Andrew O’Toole said the win came as no surprise to anyone.
“Wayne is an absolute treasure here at the Darwin Turf Club, and we always look forward to his infectious enthusiasm and charm when he arrives back at the mounting yard after a win,” Mr O’Toole said.
“This win for Wayne came as no surprise to anyone, and we were blown away with the amount of nominations for him so well done to Wayne.”
The Darwin Turf Club continues to race over the wet season, with the next meet on October 17.
“We are well into planning for the 2021 Great Northern Darwin Cup but before that have a packed couple of months of racing with some really exciting meets coming up,” Mr Morgan said.
The full list of winners are as follows:
- Trainer of the Year – Gary Clarke
- Jockey of the Year – Jarrod Todd
- Carlton United Breweries Horse of the Year – The Captain (Gary Clarke)
- Ladbrokes 3-year-old of the Year – Escondido (Gary Clarke)
- Sprinter of the Year (up to 1300m) – The Captain (Gary Clarke)
- Middle Distance / Stayer of the Year (above 1300m) – Skaldak (Emma Steel)
- Out-of-Carnival Performer of the Year – Smuggling (Phil Cole)
- AUFS Leading Jockey for the 2020 Great Northern Darwin Cup Carnival – Jarrod Todd
- AUFS Leading Trainer for the 2020 Great Northern Darwin Cup Carnival – Gary Clarke
- Bernborough Club NT Strapper of the Year – Taylor Pope (Garry Lefoe Racing)
- 2020 Character of Racing – Wayne Davis
- Women in Thoroughbred Racing NT Leading Female Jockey
- Alice Springs – Lorelle Crow
- Darwin – Vanessa Arnott
- Women in Thoroughbred Racing NT Leading Female Trainer
- Alice Springs – Lisa Whittle
- Darwin – Tayarn Halter